BEANS DEPOT

My love affair with coffee began many years back, but it has grown deeper in the recent few years. There is just something so inviting abou...

My love affair with coffee began many years back, but it has grown deeper in the recent few years. There is just something so inviting about the smell of coffee that gives me the boost to start my day or feel renewed midday. I simply love the taste of coffee. Love them without sugar, with or without creamer, and it was never something I had to acquire the taste for or get used to. In view of my unending love for coffee, hubby got me an espresso machine so I could enjoy a cup or two at home whenever I feel like it :D There is no smell I love waking up to more than fresh brewed coffee!! I can't tell you how excited I am to embark on my coffee beans expedition - to look/taste the difference between the different roasts and brands, and find the one that suits my taste most! 

My first pack of ground coffee was from Starbucks. Bought that coz I had a discount voucher for their coffee beans. Unfortunately, their coffee looked like they contained some 'impurities' - might be dirt or something, I'm not sure... So when I was done with that pack and also familiarized myself with the espresso machine, I started searching elsewhere. I came across Beans Depot in Atria Shopping Gallery not too long ago. Love their lattes ~ Mmmm... Since I've got my own espresso machine now, I decided to try their beans out. The barista in the Atria branch gave us a pretty detailed description on the types of beans they have. A little too detailed, I must say, considering we are still coffee noobs haha! I was keen to try but the problem was, I don't have a grinder at home and they didn't have an extra grinder in Atria to help me grind the beans. Well, I do know that ground coffee begins to go stale within hours, even when stored in a sealed container. I will need to get a grinder eventually so I can grind the beans just before use for maximum freshness, but for now, let's just stick to getting them to grind for me first. The guy then recommended me to go to their main branch in Kelana Jaya to get the beans. Hence, my real coffee expedition begins! :P

It was a very quiet afternoon at the Kelana Jaya Beans Depot - only 2 tables were occupied, including us. Perhaps it was drizzling at that time or maybe due to its secluded location (Hidden at the back of Parklane Commercial Hub, facing the residential area). We were attended to very quickly and the waitress recommended me to try the Guatemala as I said I prefer something more chocolaty.
My V60 Guatamala Los Esperanza (RM25).
When the barista served this, he poured into these 2 cups without mentioning anything. This is the first time I see the coffee being divided like this. Am I supposed to sip the smaller cup first? Is it like the wine tasting/sampling when we order wines in restaurants? We were puzzled so we asked him what was the purpose, and this was his answer, "Oh, it's for your hubby in case he wants to try." Huh? Was that necessary? Oh well, at least he could have explained to us before pouring rriiggghttt. *Roll my eyes* I liked this very much - with tastes of chocolate and hints of fruit. It was perfect for a rainy sleepy afternoon. :D
Latte (RM10).
Hubby ordered a latte. This was smooth and good, as usual. I was feeling a little hungry. Didn't get any of the cakes coz they looked like they had been sitting in the counter for God knows how long >.< So I decided to get something warm and ordered the Braised Chicken Rice, which tasted pretty much like soya sauce + water.
Braised Chicken Rice (RM15).
After we finished our food, we talked to the Barista regarding the beans. I liked the latte but was told that the blend wasn't for sale and he wouldn't disclose what was in the blend. He then explained to us that they are very proud of their single-origin beans, which are perfect for pour overs and slow drip methods, and it will be a little wasteful to make them using an espresso machine. Bah, what a pity! I'll probably venture more into different coffee brewing methods in the near future but as for now, I would like to enjoy my new toy first. 
Raspberry Yogurt cake (RM14).
Waffle (RM10) and add on Kaya (RM1).
This Raspberry Yogurt Cake and Waffles were from their Atria branch. The cake was OK but check out my 'burnt' waffle. Lol. It took quite some time to come and I could literally smell and taste a bit of the bitter burnt taste especially on the edges. Bleh. Guess their food isn't anywhere near their coffee standard. *Do note* that the price in the Atria Shopping Gallery branch is slightly higher than the Kelana Jaya branch. The rental in malls are higher, perhaps? 

Beans Depot is definitely one of my favorite cafes to go whenever I feel like having a good cup of coffee :D


Coffee: 8/10 
Food: 4/10
Ambience: 6/10
Service: 7/10

Beans Depot Kelana Jaya.
Check out the amount of certs on the wall (But mostly on the owner being a judge for competitions :P).

Add:

Beans Depot, Kelana Jaya
I-G-6 Parklane Commercial Hub, 
7, Jalan SS 7/26, SS7, 
47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
10am - 8pm, daily.

Tel:
+60 12-785 8488

Beans Depot, Atria Shopping Gallery
FK2, First Floor, Atria Shopping Gallery, 
Jalan SS22/23, Damansara Jaya, 
47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Opening Hours:
10am - 10pm, daily.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright by LavaQueen. Powered by Blogger.