BEETROOT AND CORN SOUP

Being a typical Cantonese, I grew up with soups. We used to have soup at almost every meal and now, it seems my LO has inherited this tradi...

Being a typical Cantonese, I grew up with soups. We used to have soup at almost every meal and now, it seems my LO has inherited this tradition too. She's a fan of soups and most of the time, she will ask for second helpings of the wholesome soups even when she refuses to eat everything else... 

Beetroot can be considered as a very versatile ingredient. It can be used in salads, sandwiches, cakes, soups and even as a natural food dye coloring. Surprisingly, it blends well into our Asian soups too. I still remember the first time I made this soup for my hubby (then boyfriend). He was a little terrified by the bright red colored soup, but after trying, he has been in love with it ever since. :D 

I usually boil the simpler version of this with just pork/chicken bones, red dates and goji berries. Today, I've paired the beetroot with corn and carrot - to add extra sweetness to the soup.

This healthy soup is naturally sweet and full of flavor that it doesn't require any extra seasoning. 
Extra tip: I found out that corn silk is nutritious not too long ago. Since then, every time I use a corn in cooking, I'll save the corn silk, simply rinse it, put into a small tea filter bag and throw in to boil together with the other soup ingredients :)

It is said that corn silk helps to promote diuresis, dispels heat, stabilizes the liver and improves the gallbladder.

Ingredients:


  • 1 medium sized beetroot
  • 1 corn, husk removed
  • 1 carrot
  • 6-8 red dates, pits removed
  • Approx 150-200g pork bones
  • Approx 1500ml water

  1. Blanch pork bones in boiling water for 5 mins, rinse and set aside. 
  2. Rinse, peel and cut beetroot and carrot into bite-size or slices.
  3. Rinse and cut the corn into 3 sections.
  4. Put all ingredients and water in a pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, turn to low heat and simmer for 2.5 hours. Serve.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright by LavaQueen. Powered by Blogger.