CHOCOLATE CAKE IN ORANGE CUP

Cake baked in an orange rind is something I've always wanted to try ever since I saw it online, and I've decided to do it on a whim ...

Cake baked in an orange rind is something I've always wanted to try ever since I saw it online, and I've decided to do it on a whim today. Was wondering just what cake to make and decided to go with chocolate since we all know chocolate sorta makes everything tastes better :P. Plus, I was concerned that a lighter cake might turn slightly bitter from being baked in the orange peel... What I can say for sure is that these were fun little cakes to bake! It is also a fantastic way to make a simple and wonderfully delicious dessert at home, or even at outdoor campfires!!

The chocolate cake seemed to have a bit of orange flavor baked into it, and it certainly smelled delicious!
Looks cute, isn't it? :D
See how moist and chocolatey it is!

Ingredients:

  • 1 orange
  • 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar (Add more if you prefer a sweeter cake, or if your orange is slightly sour)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp all purpose flour 
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder 
  • A pinch of baking powder
  • Icing sugar, for garnishing (Optional)
  • Fresh cherries, for garnishing (Optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
  2. Cut oranges in half around the equator and carefully scoop out the orange flesh. Keep the orange peel halves intact as 'cups'. 
  3. Juice the orange flesh and set aside. I managed to get approximately 1/3 cup of juice.
  4. Mix the all purpose flour, cocoa powder and baking powder in a bowl til well combined.
  5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Add in coconut oil, sugar and orange juice. Mix til well combined.
  6. Sift in the flour mixture and mix til just combined. Do not over mix.
  7. Pour batter into the orange 'cups'. I had extra batter so I poured the remaining batter into 2 slightly smaller sized paper cups. 
    I put the orange 'cups' in muffin tray in case they might fall down during the baking process. 
  8. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 mins, or til toothpick comes out clean when tested. Garnish and serve.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright by LavaQueen. Powered by Blogger.