HOMEMADE PORK & MUSHROOM SAUSAGE

Everyone loves sausages, be it kids or adults. But do we actually know what is really in the ones that we buy from supermarkets? I once wat...

Everyone loves sausages, be it kids or adults. But do we actually know what is really in the ones that we buy from supermarkets? I once watched a video comparing some (well-known) brands of sausages and what are the ingredients in them, and boy, I was kinda startled. Most contained only about 30% meat and the rest? Fats, skins, sinews and some unwanted parts etc. So, the thought of making my own sausages came to my mind. 

But the problem was, it was hard to get the casing here where I live. In fact, I've never seen it in the supermarkets that I frequently visit. Some say have to search and order online and some said they used cling wrap. I didn't wanna use cling wrap coz I need to steam the sausages before pan-frying or freezing them... It's plastic, after all (The stories I've heard about harmful chemicals released from plastic after adding heat...). Therefore the idea was put on hold til I saw a mom posted how she made sausages using baking sheets lately. That idea immediately went viral in the cooking group that I'm in. It's pretty easy and you can basically add whatever meat and ingredients you like; cheese, veggies or even jalapeño/paprika for some hotness. But since this is the first time I'm letting my LO eat a sausage, I've kept it to something simple and basic. So here I am, joining the trend in making processed food in a not-so-processed way!! :D

You can make a sausage that is healthy/safe to consume and even adjust it to suit your own taste!

Ingredients:

(Yields 8 mini sausages)

  • 200g pork meat, minced
  • 2 medium sized brown swiss mushroom
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp corn starch 
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary, or mixed Italian herbs
  • Ground black pepper and salt, for seasoning
  • Baking paper and strings, for wrapping and tying


  1. Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend til become a sticky paste.
  2. Spread some of the paste onto the baking sheet, roll and tie it up, according to whatever length you want. Make sure it is packed and tight. 
    Spread the paste onto the baking/parchment paper.
    Roll and tie them tightly.
  3. Chill the rolls for at least an hour and then steam for about 10-15 mins til cooked.
  4. Pan fry in butter til golden brown and serve.

*You can also freeze them after steaming and simply pan-fry whenever you feel like having one.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Perfectly made! I've heard that casings aren't easy to get where you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Azlin :-* Indeed, I've never seen them in the supermarkets that I usually visit. But at least now I know baking sheet works too! Hehe. Hope to learn some cooking tips from you too 😄

      Delete
  2. Hi Cheryl, may I know what type of string do you use to tie the sausage, and where can I get it?
    I always like to follow your post, and hope to get some ideas on the food I can cook for my toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bee Chin :D I think it's called kitchen twine or cotton twine. Can get from supermarkets or the homeware section in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright by LavaQueen. Powered by Blogger.