TAIWANESE BRAISED PORK RICE ( LU ROU FAN )

I recently saw a friend posting a photo of her eating Lu Rou Fan and it reminded me of my trip to Taiwan some time back. Looking back at my...

I recently saw a friend posting a photo of her eating Lu Rou Fan and it reminded me of my trip to Taiwan some time back. Looking back at my photos, I thought, "Hmm... Why don't I try making my own version of this?" After searching through some recipes online, here is the debut of my Lu Rou Fan!




Simple but fulfilling :)

    

   Ingredients:

  • 1 shallot, thinly sliced 
  • Canola oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 200g of pork belly, cubed or roughly grounded
  • 1 1/2 tsp of brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp of five-spice powder
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 tbsp of Shaoxing rice wine
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 tbsp of regular soya sauce
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of dark soya sauce
  • 1 hardboiled egg, shelled
  • Spring onion, garnishing


  1. Heat oil over medium heat. Fry shallots until rich brown color, set aside to cool and crisp.
  2. Reserve some oil. Add garlic and star anise, and cook til fragrant.
  3. Add pork. When it is no longer pinkish, add sugar, five-spice powder and the fried shallots. Stir til well blended, about 1 minute.
  4. Pour wine in and bring to boil. Add in water and the soya sauces. Lower heat to low, cover and gently simmer for about an hour, or til the pork is tender and the sauce is slightly thickened.
  5. Add the egg during halftime.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright by LavaQueen. Powered by Blogger.