BABA NYONYA BY SAMBAL CHILI

Atria shopping gallery has made it into my list of Top 3 Favorite Shopping Malls recently, especially for grocery shopping (I think I'm ...

Atria shopping gallery has made it into my list of Top 3 Favorite Shopping Malls recently, especially for grocery shopping (I think I'm in lurve with that village grocer. Lol). We are there almost every other week. My hubby even won the consolation prize in their recent The Tree of Dreams Shop & Win Contest last week! Of course, other than shopping, they do have some unique restaurants/cafes that we don't see in other malls. One of them is this Baba Nyonya by Sambal Chilli.

Their claim: Inspired by the rich and diverse heritage of Malaysia, Sambal Chilli serves a large selection of local cuisine in a cosy and welcoming environment. The mix of spices and herbs from the Malay cuisine combined with Chinese wok fire/claypot cooking technique. It is fusion cuisine at its best!

Personally, I do quite like nyonya cuisines. Whenever I have the cravings for nyonya cuisines, I usually visit Aunty Nat Restaurant or Ah Tuan Ee's Place. So I thought why not try this place out. If it's good, then there's another option in the future when I'm in the mood for nyonya cuisines again.


This restaurant is located on the 3rd floor.
Plenty of chalk illustrations on the walls of this restaurant.
I read that this is the Hikayat Sang Kancil and Monyet-inspired chalk illustrations, which showed the monkey plucking and eating the chillies despite being warned by the mouse deer.
The Hikayat Sang Kancil and Monyet is an old local animation. Sounds familiar? I think I might have heard about it in school last time but I don't remember seeing it on TV though. Oops... I think I just gave away my age :P Anyway, let's get on with the food.

Ikan bilis sambal petai.
If petai or stinky bean tantalizes your taste buds, then you'll love this dish as much as I did. Well-cooked and rich in flavor. The unique taste of petai was distinct, yet not overpowering.


Inchi Kabin.
Weird name, isn't it? It simply means Nyonya deep fried chicken. Apparently “inchi kabin” used to be known as Enche Kabin which means Mr. Cabin. Hmm... Essentially, the chicken is marinated in spices, creamy coconut milk and shallots juice, preferably overnight and fried. The chicken in bite-sized pieces arrived piping hot and had a subtle hint of all the spices. It was delicious and moist despite the frying.

Banana fritters.
The banana fritters - hot crispy battered bananas paired with vanilla ice cream for a hot and cold zing. This, however, was a disappointment. My first bite was like, "Huh? What's this? It does look like a banana fritter, I mean, with the shape and all, but where's the banana??" It was fluffy and crispy, no doubt, but I couldn't taste the sweet banana at all.


Probably just using 1/4 of a banana or lesser -_-
If you look closely, you can see the batter was way more than the banana. For RM13.90, this was sooo not worth it.

Verdict: I wouldn't mind visiting them again. The main dishes were good, but definitely no more banana fritters.

Food: 8/10 (except for the banana fritters)
Ambience: 6/10
Service: 5/10


Add:

T07, Third Floor, Atria Shopping Gallery, 
Damansara Jaya, Petaling Jaya, 
Selangor.

Tel:

03-7731 9869

*Bonus tips: Pho Vietz right next door is worth trying. Food's not too bad, reasonably priced, big portions, friendly staffs - reasons why there's always a queue. But, what I want to point out is that they sell this:
Vietnam's number 1 coffee brand!!
For those who love this coffee like me, take note! So happy that I can now get this here :D






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright by LavaQueen. Powered by Blogger.