ONE POT DISH: LONG BEAN RICE

Due to some maintenance work at the water plant, there's a scheduled water disruption at my area for a few days. So I'm trying to mi...

Due to some maintenance work at the water plant, there's a scheduled water disruption at my area for a few days. So I'm trying to minimize water usage by preparing simple meals. This is another one of the rice cooker meals. Easy preparation: stir fry a bit, dump everything into the rice cooker and let it does its work :D

My grandma was a pretty good cook. However, when I was young, she never really let me or my mom into the kitchen when she cooked. It's either she wanted us to just sit comfortably til the meals are ready (her way of showing her love), or she thought we were in the way... Lol. Because of that, we never got to learn her recipes and we don't get to eat most of those dishes anymore. I do try to replicate some of them from time to time, based on memory and adapting from online recipes, but somehow the tastes were slightly different. Perhaps, like my friend said, the taste from childhood is always the best because it not only fulfills our taste buds, it also warms our hearts. 

I still remember that my grandma used to cook this long beans rice. Her version uses dried cuttlefish but I used dried shrimps instead coz I didn't have the cuttlefish. So... here's my version: 

Simple, yet flavorful! 
Only uses few ingredients :D

Ingredients:


  • 150g long beans, cut into 1/2"
  • 150g pork belly, sliced thinly
  • 1 tbsp dried shrimps, soaked
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 2 tsp light soya sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • A dash of white pepper powder
  • 1 1/2 cup uncooked rice, washed
  • Adequate water to 1 1/2 cup rice
  • Oil, for pan-frying

Seasoning:

  • 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
  • Few drops of dark soya sauce (Depending on how dark you like the color to be) 


  1. Marinade pork belly with light soya sauce, sesame oil and white pepper powder for about 30 mins.
  2. Heat oil, fry shallots and dried shrimps til fragrant. Add pork belly and stir-fry til lightly browned. Add long beans and continue stir-frying for another few minutes.
  3. Add water, seasoning and bring to a boil. Transfer all ingredients together with rice into the rice cooker and press 'Cook'. Serve.


*If you like fast and easy rice cooker meals like this one, feel free to try my other recipe: Flavored Rice with Chicken, Chinese Sausage and Chinese Mushroom :)




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright by LavaQueen. Powered by Blogger.