SIS & CO. @ KAMPUNG KAYU ARA

December is a month of celebration and gatherings. Two days ago, I met up with a very good friend whom I've not met for quite some time....

December is a month of celebration and gatherings. Two days ago, I met up with a very good friend whom I've not met for quite some time. It was a long-postponed meetup, due to busy schedules, but we both decided it was time to meet before we kiss this year goodbye and jump into another busy year ahead. Thinking of somewhere not too noisy where we could relax and have a good chat, I suggested we go try out this Sis & Co. cafe, which opened a few months back (July, if I'm not mistaken). 

Sis & Co. is a family-run cafe/restaurant located on a street that's primarily populated by car workshops in Kampung Kayu Ara (Between Petaling Jaya and Damansara). It's actually pretty near the famous Pantai Seafood Restaurant - most seafood lovers would know this place! The rustic-style cafe is operating in a two-level warehouse space. Its interior is a little similar to the Bean Brothers @ Sunway Damansara (You can read about the review on Bean Brothers here).

The exterior. No proper carpark available, just roadside parking.
The interior.

Plenty of natural light through the glass walls.
The drawback of the glass walls? Check out the glaring sunlight >.<
I read that they also run a wholesale pork business and therefore, the limelight would be the pork dishes, say, smoked baby back ribs and baconara (carbonara pasta that's bursting with bacon). But we weren't really in the mood for some ribs on such a hot afternoon, so after looking at the menu, we decided to order the Chopsteak, a slice of Yuzu cheesecake and two flat whites. 


The Yuzu cheesecake (RM16.80).
The first to arrive was the slice of Yuzu cheesecake. I took a bite and was kinda disappointed. I was expecting a stronger Yuzu aroma and the texture of the cake was a little too dry. (Note: Yuzu fruit is very aromatic. It looks somewhat like a small grapefruit and is believed to be a hybrid of sour mandarin and Ichang papeda.) BUT, the next thing I saw was, there were ants on my cake!! Let me show you the unwanted 'guests':

The two of them were happily going round enjoying the cake. Wasn't sure if they were already in the cake when it came coz I didn't see them at first >.<
When the waiter brought me my coffee, I complained to him. He apologized and said he would change for us, BOTH the cake AND my coffee. I was thinking, "What do you mean? My coffee just came." So, I looked down and saw a fly in it! Yes, a damn fly floating in it!! "OH MY GOD!" was what I said. He kept apologizing, quickly took them away and brought us a new slice of cake and coffee. This time, I made sure I checked them thoroughly before eating and drinking. 

My new cup of flat white (RM9). 
Chopsteak - grilled chicken thigh, served with onion/black pepper sauce, salad and fries (RM18).
As we continued eating, we realized there were some ants and small flies roaming around our table and plates. It got even more irritating when two huge flies appeared and kept attempting to dive into our food and drinks. When the waiter saw us kept waving our hands to shoo the flies away, he brought over an oil lamp and told us that would help. Guess this problem isn't a new thing to them.
The oil lamp.
Overall, that was a pretty bad experience for me. The reason why I didn't walk off was, my LO was with us so I didn't wanna make a scene or waste the food since I've been telling her that wasting food is wrong. The coffee was so so, and there was nothing special about the Chopsteak either. The only good thing was, at least the workers were friendly. But I think they should do something about the ant/fly problem. That totally ruined our dining experience, not to mention, the whole place was hot and stuffy - Could be due to the building's south-facing facade, so LOTS of the sun rays through the glass walls on a sunny day, or the airconds weren't working properly, OR maybe one should choose NOT to go on a sunny afternoon. Would I go again? Most likely not. Though I may be a fan of pork and I didn't get to try their signature pork dishes, sorry to say, there are plenty of other places for that.  

Food: 4/10
Service: 7/10
Ambience: 4/10

Add:
Lot 1077, Jalan Jenjarum,
Kampung Kayu Ara,
47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Opening hours:
11am-11pm, daily.

Tel:
012-338 0181

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright by LavaQueen. Powered by Blogger.